2.07.2006

Joy and disappointment



JOY
Now that 6 is back at school applying herself to year one, and 4 has started kinder with relish, I have discovered a wonderful morning pleasure. MAKING SCHOOL LUNCHES. Yes dear readers, this a post about the minutiae of my daily life. Come back tomorrow if you would like to hear more about the sex, music, politics or other more world shaking topics.

Anyway SCHOOL LUNCHES, I love them because my own schooling lunches were an abomination. Mum, if you are reading this, I love you, you are an inspiration to my life and have instilled in me a great love of music and personal freedom, thanks. However, your school lunches weren't all that great. Mine are works of art.

For those that care, note this:
I use GLAD WRAP to cover sandwiches that have been cut in TRIANGLES. Very important.
I have little containers of fresh strawberries and grapes, and little containers of mixed unsalted raw nuts.
AND they get a little sweet treat.

They look so beautiful that I want to take a photo of them. Good lord turn away now, I may cry.



DISAPPOINTMENT
A word of advice is needed.

MLI told the girls long ago that I was their step mother and as we have the girls equally as long as their mother does they have adjusted well to another female influence. However, MLI's ex doesn't want me to be called step mother because she believes the term would only be used after her death. The dictionary defines a step mother as the wife of your father and even though we aren't married we have employed this term comfortably.

I dropped 4 off at kinder today and the teacher asked who I was. I said "4's stepmother". Then 4 said "Your not my step mother, you are only that after mummy dies". I was really embarrassed because she is obviously telling the kids different to us. I also signed into the kinder as 4's step mum and if MLI's ex sees that she will probably send some nasty messages to MLI.

What should I do? If I'm not a stepmother - what am I?