1.20.2006

Antony and the Johnsons






I have never been to a concert with rabid fans before.

Last night I went to see Antony and the Johnsons at Hamer Hall, the last concert gig on their year long world tour. Unlike Arcade Fire, definitely my choice for best album I heard last year, I hadn't had Anthony's album on a high rotation. It is an album for those quieter moments, reflective and moody, and I don't have a lot of those these days.

So, I as I say, I'm not a rabid fan. The people I went with are. They had followed Anthony to Sydney and were distressed that they weren't able to get tickets to tonight's gig at Grand Central. That's a pretty decent stab at dedication, especially since I believe Aussies can be pretty cool about rampant adoration of anything other than sport. As a result of my friends' adoration I felt like a pretender who didn't deserve the red hot seat I secured.

The other grit in my oyster was a contact lens mishap. I've been given the wrong script and if anyone was looking at me they might have been rather put off by my intermittent blinking and winking. Either that or they might have taken it for a misguided pick up (did I mention that most of the audience was filled with gorgeous gay boys?).

Anyway, morse code eyes and feeling of adoration failure aside, the concert was magnificent with the highlights being the painfully exquisite "You are My Sister", a poignant and tear-inducing song, and Leonard Cohen's "The Guests".

CocoRosie were bloody fab too and have reignited my love for the Care Bears cartoons.
Check out both these artists if you haven't yet..