11.18.2005

RACHEL BAXENDALE AND THE BLUEBIRD OF HAPPINESS



I collected the mail recently and came across an unusual thing... a letter addressed to me without the tell tale logo of a utility company/looming bill/fee schedule/call to give more, more, more. Instead I opened my mysterious envelope to find a little paper bluebird and the message "Bluebirds are happiest on windowsills".

The message was sent to me by my artistic friend Rachel Baxendale and since inquiring minds want to know, this is what she has to say about it.


The blue birds are a part of my phd project..in which I am creating and exploring symbols. The symbol of the blue bird comes from a painting my grandfather painted which was hung in the sunroom of his house. As a child I would sit with this blue bird for hours..I would chat to it and we became good friends.

The project is still developing..but the basic idea of the symbol of the bluebird is friendship. I have a bird box full of blue birds which I keep in my room. When looking through the box at the birds I may think of someone and then that bird becomes their bird (more that they become the guardian of the bluebird - cos blue birds must be free). birds have been posted..given..and delivered (late night installations on people's front windows).

The other main aspect is in the exploration of my own relationship to my art. This is the first time I have given art to a wide audience based mostly on whim. At first it was difficult to give...as there was an element of self-consciousness in the way in which it would be received and held. I want my art to be valued, cared for and respected.

So in a sense I am testing the boundaries as to how much I can open up my art to other people. I have always held it so close. I have also started to invite people to come over and look through the bird box and find birds for people who are special to them...this has been confronting but a rewarding process. after all the blue bird is a symbol of friendship and freedom...and in this way the process of the art reflects its meaning.

I am also looking at the rich history of the symbol of the bluebird. Bluebirds have been given for so many years,as bracelets from mother to daughter, as a symbol of freedom, as cards: the bluebird of happiness.


I think this is one of the most terrifically hopeful artistic gestures I have been in contact with, it reminds me of the sweeter street stencilling, it promises much to me for something so little. Also, Rachel's bluebird was the first mail I received after moving in with MLI and this instils in me a great sense of happiness and I foresee good fortune for us.

So Rachel, this post today was to say thank you. I hope you are well.