11.05.2005

fathers

All little girls love their fathers.
Here is a few facts about mine.


When I was little he used to pretend to be a gorrilla and chase me down the hallway scaring me shitless.

He is quite the MSN messenger junkie making it difficult for him to communicate around the dinner table.

I walk and stand like him.

He wears glasses as does every member of my immediate family

He likes Wilbur Smith and Jeffrey Archer.

He likes Nana Mouskouri and The Seekers.


So why all the about a father? Well my father had the pleasure of meeting MLI about a week ago over dinner and to be honest it didn't go as smoothly as planned. I'm a fully functioning adult who has been pretty self sufficient since I was 17. Yet, my heart is torn in two ways when I see my father. The first way is the protective mother in me that wants me to see him happy and healthy in his retirement. The part that has alarms going every time he opens his mouth. The second feeling is irritation that even though I'm almost 30, I'm sure that the dinner didn't go well because Dad does not approve of me having a partner. I don't think he has ever really liked many of my boyfriends and thankfully he didn't meet my one long term girlfiend and a number of uni boyfriends!

I'm hoping that Dad and MLI will get to know each other over time and Dad will move out from under the protective cover of the computer. Until then, I'll pull the conversational rabbit out of the hat for the delight of the family.