10.14.2005

So that will be a two page feature next month?

Example
More on work. It seems this week I am destined to be surrounded by interminable fuck wits. That is part of working life I guess.
But this one, this one is for the ladies.

One day this week I had a four o'clock with a magazine editor and sales manager. I had met the sales manager before but had only been in contact with the editor by email. So I walk into the meeting, smile at the ready and introduce myself to the two women. Already seated in the room is my two male colleagues.

CONVERSATION IN NORMAL LIFE
ME: Hi, I'm Ladycracker nice to see you SM and lovely to put a face to a name ED.
THEM: Hi, yourself, blah blah,
US: carry on with social niceties, how was the trip etc.

CONVERSATION IN THE ALTERNATIVE REALITY I ENTERED

ME: Hi, I'm Ladycracker nice to see you SM and lovely to put a face to name ED.
ED: So, when are you due?
ME: (headspace:shocked!) Oh no time soon, so SM are you enjoying Melbourne?
US: mixture of horror, shock and embarrassment on everyone's faces

Then the Marketing head walks in none the wiser and we start what would have to be the most uncomfortable business meeting I have ever encountered. After the SM and ED had left, one colleague and I go outside to recover from the shock with a quick ciggie. I'm laughing about it at this stage because I felt for the poor girl as it must have been very embarrassing for her.

But then, later that night I got really angry. It is obvious that the first thing she did was judge my weight and overall appearance. It is an unspoken rule not to mention pregnancy until you know for sure and this woman has been in the media and fashion for over fifteen years and seems incapable of social grace.. That said I'm a 12 - 14, with incredible saucy breasts, hips and legs, who dresses for my weight and makes the most of her "assets". Self confidence has never really been an issue for me, I'm happy how I am. This comment has made me think - perhaps it is my perception that is out of whack?

To make matters worse, this was her apology by email yesterday. Which would probably not have arrived except that I contacted her first to fufill promises from the meeting.

HER: "I'm sorry about being a total retard yesterday"
ME : (thinks RETARD! *cries*) Oh look, just forget about it.

Am I overreacting to this faux pas? I'm starting to formulate some pretty sinister ideas about fashion eds...