6.22.2005

Well at least I'm not dead yet

Much about the current state of affars in Australia upsets me. The situations faced by our refugees, the current scandal about Chinese government spies and Falun Gong, our Industrial relations balls up, the lot. I don't blog about it because other writers are doing a much better job than I ever will.

Today was the last straw though and I need to speak up.
What was once taken for granted cannot be anymore.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to dip into what is left of my pitiful pay and get some private health insurance thanks very much Liberal party bunch of cunts.

Once every 6 months I have standing appointment with the dysplasia clinic at a well know Melbourne hospital. I have been doing this for the last 6 years, at least since I had a test that showed some abnormal cells developing in my body and I was put automatically on a compulsory list that had to attend these appointments

What normally happens is I get in there on time and wait for 20 - 30mins to see the doctor, be tested and answer some questions about my diet, sexual activities etc. No drama really.

I'm not sure if it is that I'm more stressed these days and have more time pressures than in the past but when it got to the hour mark I went up to counter and told the attendant I was leaving that I couldn't wait anymore and that I would like to reshedule my appointment.

She said this "Well love you have only been waiting for an hour, you know that this is a public hospital and you have to wait for an hour or more before you can see the doctor".

Me - "But my appointment was a ten am? Ok, for my next appointment can I ring and confirm that I have a 10am appointment and arrive at 10.30am instead. Reason being that I get special dispensation from work to come to these appointments.

Her - "no love you can only be entered as arrived when you are on the premises".

Me - Ok can I have the first appointment of the day then, I don't mind waiting a few more months to get this spot".

Her - No love, we only give those appointments to new clients"

Me - "Is there another clinic I can go to"? (note, does the question mark go inside or outside of the quotations? Skander?)

Her - "Only if you have private health insurance".

The tests I am getting are to ensure that early signs of Cervical Cancer are picked up, so women don't have to have uneccessary pain and suffering and in the greater scheme of things, less pressure is put on on our public surgery programs. Good. Prevention is a good thing.

The doctors in the clinic today were one down because one had a private patient that needed to go into surgery.


I'm so frustrated by the lack of support being offered to the public hospitals. I'm lucky as that while I'm reluctant, I can afford some modicum of private health cover.
Millions can't, and need females doctors, need interpreters, are in positions that they will lose their jobs if the have to wait hours to see a doctor and so on.

I'm probabaly rambling and not making a lot of sense here.

My main point is - The Howard Government is forcing us into private health cover.

and I'm pissed becuase I'm now overdue for my checkup by 5 months since I can't get another appointment until October. So Medibank private here I fucking come.

In order to gain some balance in my view - have any men out there had experience with the public health system specifically aimed at male diseases, cancers? Problems?,longwaiting lists?