9.22.2004

Ken Park

I saw Ken Park last night, being a bit of a film buff I was excited to see it because of last years hoo ha.

I really liked Clark's use of light- the hazy orange tones did make you think of a small town in the middle of summer. What I didn't like was the way that the four teens were supposed to great friends and yet we only see one interaction between them - which happens to be a sex scene. Also the storyline with Peaches and her father was lacking, as was Tate's with his grandparents.

I like the current wave of film's that show more realism within the sexual relationships, it is important job of cinema to reflect our hopes and fears - the less vaseline on that lens the better - in this film though Clark's constant lingering on the sexual organs poses a question - is this film about the sexual life between children and adults or is it an excuse for the audience and Larry Clark to get there rocks off on young skin?